Basement Party 2

Basement Party 2

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Today's Slab BONUS! - Ace is the place for me

I just finished listening to another record from the massive St. Paddy's day pile I purchased (try saying that 5x fast), Ace Frehley's second solo release, Frehley's Comet.


When I was in my early 20s I had heard of this record but never heard anything from it until about 5 years ago. I was listening to my all time favorite station for AOR/Hard Rock/Metal, 92.5 WZUU, when they played this next song:
                                                                  
                                                                   "Into the Night"

Good tune, and very in keeping with the times. It was written by Russ Ballard (ex-Argent, ex-Rainbow), who has written many hits for others, including Three Dog Night, Santana, and America. He also wrote Ace's first solo hit, "New York Groove."

Here's some trivia: Ace's backing band featured Anton Fig, the drummer for the house band on Late Night and Late Show with David Letterman. This album was also released on Johnny Zazula's Megaforce Records, notable for releasing the early Metallica albums. Here's another good song:

                                                                  "Rock Soldiers"


I love Ace's guitar playing, which is really on display in this last track, an instrumental called "Fractured Too"

If you dig '80s hard rock with a spritz of hair spray, then this is an album worth checking out. Speaking of hair spray, check out the band pic on the back of the record!


No comments:

Post a Comment